Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Blog

While, this is my first blog so please bare with me as I go through the learning curve. I have recently picked up a new hobby of cross stitching and I found some nice cross stitch blogs out there so I thought that I would do that as well, if for no other reason then to have my own personal "diary" of my progress so I can go back and view it in the future. I orginally picked up the cross stitching a few months ago as I am trying to quit smoking and thought it would be a great way to keep my hands busy when I wanted a cig. While, it has now been just over 100 days since my last smoke and I am quite proud of that and think the idea of keeping my hands busy has really helpped me though that challenge as well.


I have done some small cross stitches in the past but recently I picked up a kit that is 5" x 7" on an 18 count Aida cloth and have been working on it for the past few monthes. It is the shell wreath kit from Dimensions. This has been my largest project by far to date and I've been really enjoying it. I have completed the inside of the design and all the shells in the wreath. Now I am working on the remainder of the wreath (flowers, ribbons, etc.) and then I just need to complete the backstitching and this project will be complete. I am hoping to get it finished soon as I find I have slown down on the project with the weather warming up since late May and heading outside more as summer has arrived. I have set deadlines in the past to help me stay focused on it; however, I think I was being too aggressive with them as I wasn't sure how much work was involved in it but I do hope to have it done soon.

Shell Wreath - May 15/09


Shell Wreath - May 22/09

Recently I picked out my next project which is also from Dimensions (they have a lot of designs that have caught my eye) which is the Glory of Autumn kit and is 14" x 11" on a 14 count Aida cloth. I think this one will take a long time to complete and will be a real challenge for me to complete as I estimate that it will take me close to a year to finish (based on the time it has taken me to do the shell wreath) and will require perserverance and determination but I believe I can do it. I am trying really hard not to begin this one until I finish the wreath project. Here is a picture of what it will look like when I am done.


Glory of Autumn - Sample Photo

Well, that's enough blogging for now, I hope to update this page every few weeks with what I have accomplished and progress pictures for you to enjoy. Please feel free to comment and give me feedback if you see this blog. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Well done on not smoking for so long, your cross stitch looks great, can't wait to see that autumn one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete